Woken again (For Meg)

The first thing I noticed was the smell. As I tired to open my eyes, scents lingered around my nose, pushing me to remember. It was an earthy odour like old cut grass and soil on a summers day. Another smell lay underneath; a hint of perfume, roses (?), and an odd metallic fragrance.

Where was I, and why can't I wake up? I tired to make sense of my surroundings. My hands trembled as I attempted to move them. My fingers flickered over a cool surface, finding also small grains of what felt like dirt. Moving my left hand to the right I came across material- lace and silk. My dress. It felt dirty with small patches of some sticky substance.

'Open your eyes!', I yelled at myself. I moved my head cautiously to the left and felt cold against my cheek. Marble? It was too smooth for stone, the chilled feeling soothing me. I wanted to panic, wanted to feel anxious but all I felt was a slight apprehension of the unknown. I also felt good. Tired yes, but there was an under currant of bubbling euphoria slowly coming to the surface. I felt so alive.

I'm hungry.

My eyes snapped open. Darkness enveloped me. I lie still as I grew accustomed to the dim light. Looking around my new environment I could see I was in a small room, rectangular in shape with a high ceiling. I lay on a marble slab with ornate edges of roses and urns decorating it. I noticed a few rose petals on me and the floor. The door lay slightly a jar, with light filtering through the edges of it, casting a moon-light glow to my room.

I sat up, stretching my arms above my head, a content sigh escaping my lips. My dress was long and dirty white, made of silk with an outer-lining of old looking lace. The sleeves ran down my arms, being held in place by a hook on a finger of each hand. The neck line was low and generous, showing my assets to their full advantage. I had no shoes on, my feet caked in dirt with small red toenails poking through. As my body came back to me I moved my legs over the edge of my resting place and put my feet on the brushed dirt floor. A surge of energy rushed through my body taking my breath away. Hangar pains popped and fizzled in my stomach.

I walked over to the light, gently pulling the stone door open. Moonlight flooded in the small space. I recognized where I was immediately and a sense of relief trickled down my spine. I was home. I was safe.

My hunger then stopped all other thoughts. I needed food, and now. This hunger was raw, un-yielding. My taste buds tingled with anticipation, a rush of adrenaline coursing through me, leaving the sweet taste of metal behind.

I walked out of my home, weaving around the crosses and tomb stones in my shared garden. The bright glow of the moon shone down on my pale, slightly blue face with blood-like lips salivating with appetite. My heart would have been beating with the thrill of the hunt to come if I still had blood pumping through my veins.

I had never felt so alive, which was ironic as I had died long ago. The anniversary of my death; my turning, always left me feeling disoriented, forgetting who and where I was, but now the memories came flooding back. I am the un-dead, a creature of the night.

My name is Rose. I am a vampire.

0 comments: